Love Letter to San Francisco Blog

This is a place where readers of my book Love Letter to San Francisco can contribute their ideas and comments. I am also using the blog to document the creative process of writing a book and self publishing it.

Friday, April 15, 2005

making more

I have pushed myself really hard all week to get this done. I went through 3 rounds of revisions and corrections and I know there is more to do. Today was the day I was going to attempt to upload it to Cafe Press so I could send a bunch of copies to myself and mail them to friends and family. It didn't work. Try again.

I feel like I have to pack it in for tonight. It might be that I just make my own prototypes for now. I cannot believe how much work this is, how much time it is taking.

I printed 5 more copies - its 77 pages now. I carried them home last night and then took them to the place where they will be bound today.

Saturday I got 3 more done, and gave one to Paolo tonight to read and have on his shelf for when his visitors from Brazil come. He appreciated receiving one of the first copies. Next week I will be making more and hopefully deal with Cafe Press and figure it out. Setting up a store, that part was not bad, but making the actual book and getting all the files to work - I kind of hit a few walls there.

Doing this is definitely a journey. I feel happy that it's taking shape.
Whether it's accessible to the general public, and it resonates I have no idea. Prose/poetry is tricky that way. I think that it will speak to anyone who has a love affair going on with not just San Francisco, but any city. To be in love with where you live is a state of mind, but it also effects the heart, the spirit. By writing to the city as if it is my lover, the spirit of the city comes out and also my own spirit and the qualities that I love in people come out too.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:26 PM, Blogger Melania said…

    whenever you're ready, i'm more than happy to read it and give feedback. the idea is brilliant. bridges as jewelry or handcuffs. i wonder if you wrote of the dark sides of relationships, the reality of any love affair. you could incorporate a piece of the city on the book cover - dirt, leaves, flyer, sand. and your photos, will they illustrate? funny, you and SF around you as a portrait of a couple. it's Genius, V!

     
  • At 1:55 PM, Blogger veronica van gogh said…

    I have a review copy that I will send you, I'd love comments from you. Yes yes yes!

    re: the dark sides of relationships... Yes, I didn't want it to be a completely romantic love letter.

    I write about her (san francisco's) flaws and her faults. Like any relationship, it's not always roses and perfection as we know. But I can't say I have ever hated her, in the way that sometimes the person you are with can drive you nuts. (in the bad way)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home